Skip to main content

One person taken to hospital after fire in Kitchener

Share

One person has been taken to hospital after a fire in Kitchener Saturday afternoon.

Emergency services were called to the Joseph Street and David Street area just before noon.

Kitchener fire officials say they were responding to a fire at the Centre of Family Medicine, formerly Victoria Public School.

They say they were able to quickly douse a fire in one of the units, but everyone was evacuated from the building while crews worked.

A Grand River Transit bus was brought to the scene to provide warmth.

Everyone was allowed back inside the building once the flames were extinguished.

One person was taken to hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation.

The investigation is ongoing, but fire officials believe it was accidental.

A damage estimate has not been provided at this time.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Mussolini's wartime bunker opens to the public in Rome

After its last closure in 2021, it has now reopened for guided tours of the air raid shelter and the bunker. The complex now includes a multimedia exhibition about Rome during World War II, air raid systems for civilians, and the series of 51 Allied bombings that pummeled the city between July 1943 and May 1944.

WATCH

WATCH Half of Canadians living paycheque-to-paycheque: Equifax

As Canadians deal with a crushing housing shortage, high rental prices and inflationary price pressures, now Equifax Canada is warning that Canadian consumers are increasingly under stress"from the surging cost of living.

Stay Connected