US lottery winner fatally poisoned with cyanide a day after collecting $425,000
A customer fills out a Powerball form at the Jayhawk Food Mart in Lawrence, Kan., Friday, Nov. 23, 2012. (AP / Orlin Wagner)
The Associated Press
Published Monday, January 7, 2013 2:06PM EST
CHICAGO - A U.S. medical examiner says a lottery winner was fatally poisoned with cyanide a day after he collected nearly $425,000.
Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina says a limited exam initially found Urooj Khan died of natural causes, but a relative asked for a deeper investigation.
A full toxicology test revealed Khan had ingested a deadly amount of cyanide, and his death was re-classified as a homicide.
Khan died July 20, a day after collecting the lump sum option on a $1 million win. He bought the ticket in Chicago.
Cina said Monday it's likely that Khan's body will be exhumed as part of the investigation.
If you are on the scene of breaking news and capture it with your mobile device, share your pictures or video with MyNews.