Remember not to leave a pet in a car unattended, Guelph police and humane society say
KITCHENER -- Guelph police and the humane society have issued a reminder to the public to not leave their pets in a hot car this summer.
Both groups say they responded to a number of calls on Friday, when temperatures were in the mid 20s, about a dog left in a car with the windows rolled up at a south end plaza in the city.
The owner of the dog and vehicle was at a pharmacy getting a COVID-19 vaccine shot, according to officials.
"This was happening repeatedly with owners going in to get their vaccine," said Natalie Thomas of the humane society. "A dog can actually die in only six minutes of being left in a hot vehicle."
Police say the dog was able to be removed from the vehicle and the owner was very apologetic when they were located.
No charges were laid, but the humane society says dog owners can be charged with creating a situation likely to cause distress in instances like this. This kind of charge includes a penalty of $610.
The Guelph Humane Society reportedly goes to one call a week for dogs locked in hot cars during the summer months.
"We've already issued one ticket this year because the dog suffered a heat stroke," said Thomas.
The Kitchener-Waterloo, Stratford Humane Society hears reports of dogs left in hot cars often on a daily basis.
"The temperature inside a parked car can be as much as 20 degrees hotter than it is outside," said Anya Barradas of the humane society. "When the temperature reaches 20 degrees or higher it is absolutely not advisable to leave a pet inside a car."
Some dog owners suggest getting a friend to dog site when the called in to get a vaccine.
"Can't even imagine a dog being alone trapped in a car, no water, no AC," said Melisa Vong. "You wouldn't leave your kid there and the dog is your kid. It's your fur baby."
Dog owner Courtney Bruce, out for a morning walk with Huey and Dean at Kiwanis Park in Kitchener, says they need to stop now and then for a cool down.
"Even here, we're outside, we've taken one lap already, and they had one full bowl of water," she said. "You personally wouldn't want to be in [a hot car] in that situation and neither do your dogs."
Both police and the humane society advise never leaving a pet in a hot car, even with the windows open.
Anyone who sees a pet in such a situation is asked to call 911.