Search on for suspect in bomb threat that closed Windsor-Detroit tunnel
Authorities meet during a investigation of a bomb threat at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Thursday, July 12, 2012. (AP / Paul Sancya)
The Associated Press
Published Friday, July 13, 2012 12:45PM EDT
WINDSOR, Ont. -- Police are looking at surveillance video from a coffee shop as they search for a suspect in a bomb threat that closed the Windsor-Detroit tunnel.
The international border crossing was shut down for four hours on Thursday, forcing cross-border travellers to use the Ambassador Bridge.
Windsor police Sgt. Matthew D'Asti (DASTEE) says a man calling from a pay phone on the Canadian side of the border warned of a bomb in the tunnel.
D'Asti says police are examining video from a nearby Tim Hortons coffee shop, but it's not known if the camera recorded footage of the public phone.
D'Asti says police also are inspecting the phone for any evidence such as fingerprints.
At the Windsor-Detroit truck ferry, Vice-President Greg Ward says the incident shows just how badly a new border crossing is needed. There was a huge backlog at the bridge when the tunnel shut down.
Ward says a new bridge would provide redundancy in the event of an emergency at the tunnel or Ambassador bridge.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper formally announced construction last month of a new, $1-billion bridge to help alleviate congestion at Canada's busiest border crossing.