Skip to main content

Migrant worker killed in Norfolk County farming incident

Beth Macdonell/CTV News Toronto Beth Macdonell/CTV News Toronto
Share

The Ministry of Labour has confirmed that there is an ongoing investigation into the death of a migrant worker at a Norfolk County farm last week.

In an emailed statement to CTV News on Friday, the ministry said they were notified Sunday of the incident after a temporary foreign worker was fatally injured while operating farm equipment.

Ontario Provincial Police in Norfolk County reported that emergency crews were called to the scene at a Windham East Quarter Line Road property around 9:30 a.m. on Sunday.

OPP said the driver of a tobacco harvester died following an incident involving the machine.

Their identity is being withheld until the next-of-kin iis notified.

The ministry has identified the business as P. & S. Van Berlo Ltd.

Two inspectors and an engineer with the ministry returned to the farm on Monday to continue their investigation. 

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 may resume

Malaysia's government said Sunday it may renew the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 after a U.S. technology firm proposed a fresh search in the southern Indian Ocean where the plane is believed to have crashed a decade ago.

Canada sanctions more Russians over Navalny death

Canada's foreign affairs minister has announced another round of sanctions against the Russian government, which she says are in response to last month's death of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny and Russia’s "continued gross and systematic violations of human rights."

Stay Connected