Piles of combustible metals continue to burn and smolder inside a Brantford industrial building.

Firefighters were called to a property on Middleton Street, off Henry Street, just before 2:30 p.m. Friday.

But crews still haven’t been able to enter the building.

Fire Chief Shane Caskanette says there are concerns about the toxic fumes, hot molten metal and the building’s structural stability. “These things are known to burn for days.”

Firefighters weren’t able to douse the flames with water so instead they focused on protecting the liquid oxygen tanks outside the building.

Meanwhile officials with the Ministry of the Environment were called in to test the fumes.

They say air quality is not a concern but they will remain at the property until conditions improve.

Officials are also monitoring water run-off to ensure it doesn’t impact the Fairchild Creek and storm system.

On Saturday afternoon firefighters tried another method to contain the fire.

“We’re going to put some sand on top of the fires just to kind of coat them,” said Caskanette.

One crew will remain on scene overnight to monitor the situation.

The Ontario Fire Marshall has also been called in to investigate the cause of the blaze.

The building is owned by Mississauga Metals and Alloys. The company says it recycles and produces metals for nuclear and chemical companies.