Skip to main content

Your guide to everything you need to know to vote in the Region of Waterloo 2022 municipal election


Voters are heading to the polls on Monday, Oct. 24 to choose who they want to represent them at the municipal level of government for the next four years.

Electors in each of the region's three cities and four townships will be able to select their choices for mayor, city/township councillor, school board trustees and regional chair.

Residents of Kitchener, Cambridge and Waterloo will also vote for regional councillors. The townships of North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich are represented on regional council by their respective mayors.

Polls will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on election day.

To ease the voting process, CTV News Kitchener has compiled a list of frequently asked questions and information for voters.


You can vote in-person on the election day at your voting location, except in the townships of Wilmot and Wellesley where all voting on election day will happen by phone or online.

Those living in Kitchener can find where to vote on the city website.

City of Waterloo residents can check where their voting location is on the city's website, or visit any of the "supervote" locations spread across the city.

Those living in the City of Cambridge can view their voting location by putting their address into the search box on the city's website.

In North Dumfries Township, voters can cast their ballots by internet or in-person. Information and locations are listed here.

Voters in Woolwich Township can vote by internet, telephone or in-person. Details are available here.

There will be no in-person voting in Wilmot Township or Wellesley Township on Monday, instead people can vote by internet and telephone.Information for Wilmot voters is available here. Information for Wellesley voters can be found here.

The deadline to apply to vote by mail has already closed in the Region of Waterloo. Advance polls are also over.


• A Canadian citizen

• At least 18 years of age

• An owner or tenant of land in the Region of Waterloo

• A spouse of a resident, owner, or tenant of land in the Region of Waterloo

• Not prohibited from voting under any law.


Proper identification is required to cast a ballot in the municipal election. Each voter needs to come with at least one piece of ID if they want to vote in the Region of Waterloo municipal election.

The identification must be an original or a copy certified by a notary public. You cannot use electronic copies including photos or videos.

If you do not have valid identification or if it does not have the right address, you can sign a legal declaration at your voting place confirming you are eligible to vote in the Region of Waterloo.

To vote you must present one of the following documents showing your name and address:

• Ontario driver’s licence

• Ontario Health Card (photo card)

• Ontario Photo Card

• Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)

• Cancelled personalized cheque

• Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario

• Insurance policy or insurance statement

• Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution

• Document issued or certified by a court in Ontario

• Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government

• Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)

• Income tax assessment notice

• Child tax benefit statement

• Statement of employment insurance benefits paid T4E

• Statement of old age security T4A (OAS)

• Statement of Canada Pension Plan benefits T4A(P)

• Canada Pension Plan statement of contributions

• Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works

• Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program

• Workplace Safety and Insurance Board statement of benefits T5007

• Property tax assessment

• Credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement

• CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities

• Hospital card or record

• Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution

• Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home

• Utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission

• Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer

• Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school


A full list of candidates can be viewed by visiting CTV News Kitchener.


The Province of Ontario entitles workers to take up to three hours to vote on voting day.

According to the province, typically this is at the start or end of your working hours. Voting hours are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. If your working hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., you are entitled to leave one hour early so that you would have from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. to vote.

Your employer may decide when it would be most convenient for you to be absent in order to vote.


The Municipal Elections Act permits post-secondary students to vote in the Region of Waterloo municipal election or the municipal election conducted in their "home" municipality, provided they are residing in the Region of Waterloo to attend a post-secondary institution and intend to return to their "home" municipality at the conclusion of their studies.

If you are a student living on campus at Wilfrid Laurier University or University of Waterloo, you can vote at the Concourse or the Student Life Centre. Top Stories

Stay Connected