A fire that burned three buildings to the ground Monday evening is being blamed on an overheated stovepipe.

Firefighters were called to a property on Cox Creek Road in Woolwich Township, southeast of Winterbourne, around 6:30 p.m. Monday.

Upon arrival, they found three structures – two barns and a workshop – completely engulfed in flames. All three collapsed in short order.

About 40 firefighters and nine trucks from three stations were brought in to fight the fire.

Fire officials say the homeowner was boiling maple sap on a woodstove in his workshop when a stovepipe overheated, sparking the fire.

Several cars inside the buildings, including three which had been restored, were destroyed in the fire.

Damage is estimated at $300,000.

No people or animals were injured in the fire.