Public high school teachers, support staff set to hold another one-day walkout
KITCHENER -- The Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation will be holding another one-day walkout next week, the organization announced in a news release on Friday.
This will be the third week in a row that the federation will hold a one-day strike.
This time, 10 school boards around the province will walk out on Wednesday, Dec. 18.
That includes high schools in Waterloo Region, which will see their teachers on strike that day.
For the first strike, which was province-wide, some local elementary schools were forced to close as well because of striking support staff.
Waterloo Region District School Board officials told CTV that they weren't guaranteed to close again. In an emergency meeting on Friday night, the board decided that both elementary and high schools would close in the event of a strike.
The following school boards will be affected by strikes:
- Lakehead District School Board
- Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board
- Lambton Kent District School Board
- Thames Valley District School Board
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Waterloo Catholic District School Board
- York Region District School Board
- York Catholic District School Board
- Halton District School Board
- Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
Despite its inclusion on the list, the Waterloo Catholic District School Board says its schools will stay open despite striking staff.
The board says that its programming will also be unaffected, with the exception of the Spots for Tots program at St. Louis Adult and Continuing Education.
The Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir will also close 18 elementary and secondary schools around the province, including five in Waterloo Region.
If the strike goes forward, the following schools would close:
- École élémentaire catholique Cardinal-Léger
- École élémentaire catholique Mère-Élisabeth-Bruyère
- École élémentaire catholique Saint-René-Goupil
- École élémentaire catholique Saint-Noël-Chabanel (Cambridge)
- École secondaire catholique Père-René-de-Galinée
The OSSTF has more than 60,000 members, including public high school teachers and a number of support staff such as early childhood educators and secretaries.
With files from the Canadian Press