Terry Tremble has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of his wife, Adrienne Roberts.

The verdict was reached Thursday night, shortly before 7 p.m., following more than eight hours of deliberations and a trial that lasted for nearly four weeks.

Roberts, a paramedic, was found dead in the Arthur home she shared with Tremble on Oct. 6, 2010.

Her family and friends let out an emotional response after the verdict was read, appearing relieved and pleased with the jury's decision.

“It was a circumstantial case and it was all of the pieces put together,” said prosecutor Murray De Vos.

“I’m confident (the jury) considered all those pieces in coming up with this verdict.”

Jurors had heard that Roberts regretted the marriage and wanted out, but feared retribution from Tremble, who had his own qualms about the marriage – particularly that he felt Roberts was keeping him from seeing their son Caleb.

A friend of Tremble’s testified that he had an hour-long conversation with Tremble on Oct. 5, 2010, during which Tremble complained about the state of his marriage.

The next morning, surveillance video captured Tremble driving his vehicle into a nearby parking lot, then returning later to swap the vehicle for Roberts’ Jeep.

“The video was important to set out the timeline for the Crown’s case,” De Vos told CTV.

Later that day, Roberts’ body was discovered in the basement of her home by Tremble's sister, with whom he was not close. She had been hit on the head with a blunt weapon that was never found.

Defence lawyers did not call any witnesses, but argued that Tremble, who pled not guilty, would have had insufficient time to commit the murder and clean himself up in the time window suggested by the Crown’s theory.

They also argued Tremble’s innocence by pointing out that no blood was ever found on his clothes or shoes, or in his car, and that a hair was discovered on Roberts’ body that didn’t match Tremble or anyone at the crime scene.

Defence lawyer Brennan Smart said he accepted the jury’s verdict.

“It doesn’t matter what the verdict is,” he said.

“It doesn’t change the fact that a young woman with a young baby was brutally killed in her home. No verdict is going to undo that.”

Jurors were told they could also consider second-degree murder and manslaughter charges, but ultimately returned a conviction of first-degree murder, which comes with an automatic life sentence and no chance of parole for 25 years.

Sentencing is set for Feb. 27.