Former Siskin pleads guilty to assaulting ex-girlfriend
A former Junior B hockey player pleaded guilty Monday to assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
Ted Anstett, 21, admitted to attacking the then-21-year-old woman in September 2012, a few months after the end of their four-year relationship.
Court documents show that the two ran into each other at a bar.
At the end of the night, when the victim could not find her pre-arranged ride home, Anstett offered to take her instead.
Once they had been travelling for some time, Anstett instead headed to the area of Erbsville Road and Keats Way and pulled to the side of the road.
The woman tried to get out of the car, documents show, only for Anstett to lock the door.
When she tried to call her father, Anstett grabbed her phone.
Moments later, Anstett climbed over to the passenger seat and began screaming at her.
After driving further north on Erbsville, Anstett stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road.
The woman left the vehicle and started walking up the road, with Anstett running after her.
As a vehicle began to approach Anstett’s parked car, the documents show, the victim – who had said she was heading to a nearby house to call 911 – started walking toward it, only for Anstett to tackle her into the ditch.
The approaching vehicle stopped. Two men inside got out and, after assessing the situation, took the woman to the nearby gravel pit where they were working.
Police and were notified of the events, and Anstett – then a forward for the Waterloo Siskins, who cut ties with him in the incident’s aftermath – turned himself in the following afternoon.
Since then, he has been free on bail.
Anstett’s lawyer, Brennan Smart, says his client has been playing hockey and taking business classes at a post-secondary institution in the United States, and attempted to deal with personal issues.
“Mr. Anstett has received and voluntarily undertaken a course of counselling … and has successfully completed a number of programs,” Smart tells CTV News.
Anstett will be sentenced in July.
Smart says he will be seeking a discharge penalty, while the Crown is expected to seek a short prison sentence.