Officials say unattended candle caused Waterloo highrise fire
Published Friday, December 28, 2012 12:47PM EST
Last Updated Friday, December 28, 2012 3:07PM EST
A Thursday night fire in a Waterloo highrise left a couple and their dog homeless.
Fire broke out on the third floor of the Harvard Place complex at about 8 p.m.
“[Fire crews] encountered a light haze of smoke followed by black smoke on the third floor. They entered the unit where they found fire subject to the bedroom area,” said Waterloo deputy fire chief Richard Hepditch.
Parts of the building had to be evacuated. All residents, except those in the affected apartment, were allowed to return home after the fire was extinguished.
A witness told CTV he went out to get groceries with the affected tenant. When they got back to the apartment, they found it filled with smoke and ran in to save the dog.
Officials say the fire started at an unattended candle.
Damage to the building is estimated at $25,000.
The Red Cross is helping the displaced couple with temporary housing.
If you are on the scene of breaking news and capture it with your mobile device, share your pictures or video with MyNews.