Dr. Ali Zentner's protein bar recipe
Published Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:05AM EST
1 cup (250 mL) chocolate-flavoured protein powder (I use Vega sport performance protein)
1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
½ cup (125 mL) coconut
½ cup (125 mL) cocoa powder
¼ cup (50 mL) flax seed
¼ cup (50 mL) chia seeds
¼ cup (50 mL) hemp seeds
½ tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
4 extra-ripe bananas
1 12-ounce (340 g) package of silken tofu
½ cup (125 mL) agave syrup or ¼ cup Splenda
2 large whole eggs, beaten
⅔ cup (150 mL) natural peanut butter
Non-fat cooking spray
1. Line the bottom of a 13 × 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, whole-wheat flour, coconut, cocoa powder, flax seed, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and salt. Set aside.
4. Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the bananas in a separate bowl.
5. In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the agave syrup (or Splenda), eggs, and peanut butter, one at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add the bananas and fold the mixture together. Add to dry mixture and mix together.
6. THIS CAN ALL BE DONE IN A FOOD PROCESSOR FOR EVEN EASIER PREPARATION!
7. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Nutritional analysis (per bar)
Calories = 185
Fat = 9.7 g
Carbohydrate = 15 g
Protein = 13.4 g
Fibre = 9.7 g